Wednesday, March 5, 2014

February Challenge: How'd I do?

February's challenge was to start on the road of health and fitness! February was a short, fast month and while I could have done more, I am so happy with what I have done. I find that for everyone who begins to veer towards a healthy lifestyle, they kind of drag their feet at first. There may be some internal whining. A whole lot of being too tired to go to the gym... rewarding themselves with something high fat (like a milkshake?) after a long day.

Or maybe that is just me.


Slowly, I start to make changes. It helps me to ease one healthy thing at a time instead of just suddenly changing my entire life. My anxiety doesn't allow for that. Here are a few things I did to start being healthier.

-Moved sodas to weekends only and being more selective about getting a soda when we eat out for dinner.

-Drinking more water. A LOT more water. I forget all the time, so my co-workers yell at me to drink water. I love them.

-Replacing "normal" meals with a veggie-loaded salad with healthy dressing. I had moments where I literally hates salads, but I start eating them and I'm like this is soooooo yummy!!! I'm weird.

-Eating salads with every meal and eating the salad first.

-Switching my coffees to non-fat; working on having less coffees. I've switched back to the 200 calorie Starbucks Vanilla Frappuccinos, which I keep in my fridge.

-Remembering to move around at work. I make sure I take time to go for short walks around campus to move my body.

-Being more active at home. This means either cleaning when I get home, going for a walk, roughhousing with Shepherd, cooking. Basically, having less sit and relax couch time.

-Getting to the gym or outdoors more. I've gone to the gym more, have played basketball in our cul-de-sac with my family and just by myself. Catching my own rebounds is hard work, ya'll!

-Smaller plates, smaller meals. Often times at home, I'll just use a salad plate to put my food on. It's smaller so the portions seem huge but they're really not. Also, when we go out. I'll separate what I want to eat and what I want to save for the next days lunch - and I ONLY order things I can break up into two meals. My portions get smaller and smaller as my stomach shrinks.

You all know that I am not into crash diets and weight loss, just like weight gain, is a journey. I want to take care of my body, treat it right so that I live right. Bryan and I were talking about all the hikes and trails we want to do during our upcoming vacation in Hawaii and I couldn't help but think what if I can't do them? The negative self talk came in. "I'm big and out of shape. Maybe I shouldn't try to do those kinds of hikes."



It made me so sad to think that the extra weight I am carrying is really limiting me and the things I want to do in life. No way. I don't care what stage I'm at in Hawaii, I'm doing those hikes. My extra fat is not going to define my activities. I do what I want.

In all, I'm happy with my progress and even more happy with my mindset. Cheekbones, I'm coming for ya!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)