Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jewelry Bulletin Board

The main purpose of my bulletin board is to make organize my jewelry. I wanted to act as an "art piece" of sorts since it was going to be hung in our bedroom.


I already had the bulletin board and it was in good shape. I grabbed the supplies I figured I would need, which included a bulletin board, Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint, a neutral tone of linen fabric (purchased for $2.99 at Hobby Lobby), ribbon scored from Michaels, Aleene's Tacky Spray from Michaels, and a hot glue gun and sticks. 

Total, the project cost me a little under $15 since I already had most of the items or I had a coupon. 

I didn't feel that this project was something that needed to be detailed because bulletin board re-dos are a dime a dozen on the world wide web. Here is the final project. 





For those of you wondering how I did it, I'll give a brief rundown.

1. Get the necessary materials. Cut the fabric to size, so that it's about 1/4 of an inch from the border of the bulletin board. Measure out your ribbon and cut to size. Try not to cut crooked. Because I am left-handed, I cannot, for the life of me, cut a straight line. My husband had to bail me out. :)

2. Quickly sand down the border, and wipe it down. While it dries, tape some newspaper to protect the cork, and spray it down. You may need more than one coat. Let it cure for a 24-48 hours to get a good set.

3. In a well vented area, grab your fabric, tacky spray and the bulletin board. Spray down the cork in sections and smooth fabric over. Make sure to work in sections, this will help with creases and you don't want the spray to dry too fast. Repeat until entire cork board is covered in your choice of fabric. Do not spray yourself in the face. Do not inhale too deeply. Actually, you should wear a mask. Protect those braincells!

4. Grab your hot glue gun and ribbon. Work in sections - a line of hot glue and spread the ribbon on top. Put a thin line and be careful when pressing down. Don't burn yourself... or the ribbon! Make sure to keep things straight and stay right by the border. Take a step back and look every couple of sections to make sure you don't have any dips in your ribbon. It'll look weird. :)

5. Set your board aside for a few days to ensure that everything sets nicely. Hang and enjoy! 

Have you made a jewelry board? Do you have any other tips and tricks for renovating a bulletin board? Let me know!

*Pssst. I forgot to mention what I did to the back of the buttons. In the last picture, you can see that I partially pulled out a button. I grabbed regular, flat-fronted metal thumb tacks and hot glued them to the back. I might use gorilla glue for the next batch because I had one button separate from the tack. Hope this helps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)