Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bandwagon? Yup, I'm on it.

I'm joining the rest of the blog-o-sphere in jotting down a few goals that I'd like to achieve in 2014. I feel like I specifically need goals because I tend to just coast around letting life knock me around instead of taking life by the horns and doing whatever you are supposed to do when you have something that has horns in your hands.

I figured my first goal would be to participate in another trend that's floating around. Setting my word of the year. This is interesting to me because sometimes I feel like the word comes after the year is done. For example, 2012 would've been "Wreck" and 2013 would have been "Survive". Putting a word on a year seems hopeful but I fear it might put a jinx on the year. Maybe that is just the Negative Nancy in me.

Negative Nancy be darned! I'm doing it anyways. Boom.

My word for 2014 is Strive



Strive for:
health
happiness
laughter
friendships
organization
time
love
God
grace

I want to Strive to be a better person. To manage my time better. To participate in meaningful activities. To actively engage in my life and in the lives of others.

As I contemplated this word and it's meaning I wanted to see what the official definition was, so I turned to the interwebs.

Google - "make great efforts to achieve or obtain something" and "struggle or fight vigorously".
Merriam Webster - "to devote serious effort or energy" and "to struggle in opposition"
The Free Dictionary - "to make a great or tenacious effort" and "to fight; contend"

This. I felt it, like a confirmation way down deep in my soul. This is my word. In 2013, I managed to tread water; just barely keeping my head afloat. In 2014, I will fight against the current. I will make great efforts in my life to make and repair relationships, to focus on my health and the health of my family, to organize my time and find a routine that works and supports my development as a Godly, hopeful woman.

It's lofty. I get tired just thinking about it... but I feel like the time is right. I need to start seeing some movement, some fruit in my life. I had a big, heavy year in 2013 and I need to see, to feel, that it wasn't all for naught.

Have you selected a word of the year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)