Friday, January 11, 2013

My Mom Asked if I was Being Picky

The other day, my mom reminded me that she and Larry will be purchasing Shepherd's crib bedding and a bassinet if we wanted one.

I looked at her and said oh, nooooooo! Obviously, this was not the response she was looking for. I explained that it was so sweet that they wanted to gift me the bedding but it was going to be a nightmare because I had recently started looking at bedding and I hate all of it.

You might think I'm being dramatic or maybe overly picky, like she thought. I'm not. I promise. I'm generally very practical and easy going when it comes to this type of stuff.

I started thinking that maybe I was having a hard time finding what I liked because I didn't have a checklist. I was just looking at pictures saying, no. No. No. No way! Ew! I was getting more and more disheartened with each set I looked at. I sat down and made a list of my criteria.

Megan's Crib Bedding Checklist:
Equal quality to price.
Nothing too baby-ish.
Open on colors, hope for a nice tan, dark blue, dark green, very earthy.
No cartoon-y characters.
Simple lines and or patterns acceptable.
Trees / Branches welcomed.

When I looked at that list, I realized I'm not being picky. I'm being too simple! This is a problem because now-a-days, baby bedding looks like a character/theme vomited bright colors all over it.

Let's take a look at some of the bedding I 86'd.

Image
Image
Image


Those are all 13 piece sets and are (at the time I looked) $115, which is an excellent value. They are all cute in their own way, but they just have so many things going on! Lots of colors, lots of pictures, lots of stripes, lots of plaid.

Guess what? The more simple you want, the higher the price. I kid you not.

Overstock lists this set, which is the same brand as the others I linked to, only it’s a nine piece set and it’s just black on black pattern. Very simple, masculine, almost bachelor-ish right?

Image
This set is $190.

This next one? A different brand and only three pieces but it shares the same simple vibe is $400.

Image
Granted, these are all the same website. I went to JCPenney’s, Etsy, Target, Pottery Barn, Walmart, Dwell, Babies R Us. I didn’t like most of what I saw. Now, let’s get to what I found that I liked, but probably won’t be purchasing.


Image

This is a 3 piece crib set for $130. Not exactly economical. There are other items in this collection that you can purchase.
Image
This is a 4 piece crib set for $220. It has characters, but the colors are muted and earthy and I don’t loathe the owl. It also has other items in the collection you can purchase.

Image

When I saw this I was like, this is it. This is the one! It’s perfect. Simple, earthy, the sage green is boyish and I was smitten. Then I saw the price. $425. NOPE! 

Image
This is a duvet cover that I think its pretty adorable. It’s got acorns, leaves, feathers and a myriad of other wilderness silhouettes. And its $9.99. It is a tad underwhelming, but if I went the duvet cover route, I could have a couple of different options and change them out as the mood strikes. (Or a blow out does.)

Image
This is a 5 piece crib set on Amazon. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. Maybe if there weren’t any deer? I don’t know. 

Image


This is an 8 piece crib set that could have been the one if it didn’t have a giraffe, a porcupine or the owl. Why can’t it ever just be the tree? 

Image

I actually love this. I think it’s really cute, even if its busy. I can handle the owl. What I can’t handle is the price. It’s a 4 piece set for $271.41. Crazy.

The search continues. I am going to look into some DIY options too. We have another 3 months until its crunch time. Hopefully I can find something before then!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)