Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Emailing Me Crazy

When I first started to follow design blogs, I learned that a great way to get free design fodder was to subscribe to emails. One afternoon, I must have just gone bat-crap crazy, because for the past year and a half I have had at least 200 emails a WEEK. And guess how many emails I would actually click on to look at? Maybe five or six a month. Just two days ago, I deleted 250 unread entries from my inbox. Ick.

This was my inbox yesterday:


ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

When I signed up for these emails, I had no idea that the businesses would push out a new email every single ding-dang DAY.

I've got a husband that requires more attention than all of Lindsay Lohans' crotchless pictures combined... times 50. I've got one pregnant sister that is planning a shower, one sister that is five hours away that probably wants to pulverize me for NEVER CALLING her... (Hi Alison!) Friends that need me as much as I need them. A disaster of a home. More laundry to wash, dry, fold/hang and put away than I even want to think of. Dinner to make. Dog drool to step in and a moody cat to smother mother.  Not to mention, work, miscellaneous errands, grocery store trips, the siren song of the DVR and Christmas crafts.

Do they honestly think that the thing I want most, in this modern-day, busy, crazy life, is to sit on my arse and see their dumb marketing emails every single day, including my precious weekends? They can just go fly a stinkin' kite for all I care.

To be honest, sometimes when I don't want to deal with something, I can withdraw. And I did, for the whole year that all these emails were plaguing me. I didn't want to have to go through each email and unsubscribe. Yesterday, I had enough. I couldn't deal with my Freecycle, Wuslu and Groupon and more personal emails getting lost in the shuffle.

I went through each darn email and clicked unsubscribe. And guess what most of them offered me?

A monthly option.

Sigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)