Monday, October 29, 2012

Girls, Girls, Girls

**I was having some minor formatting issues - sorry about that! All should be fixed now. If you are still seeing wacky things let me know. Thanks!**


Today, I’m thankful for women.

I haven’t always “understood” girls. Especially the ones that tear each other apart and bully other girls. I never had too many friends that were girls because inevitably, there would be backstabbing, boyfriend stealing and gossip. I never wanted anything to do with it.

Usually, I would have one or two best friends that were girls, and two or three friends that were boys. It worked for me, since I lived with three girls at home. I always said I could only take so much estrogen.

Since my seventh and eighth grade years, I’ve had probably 7 or 8 total girl friends. Right now, not counting my sisters, I've had two and a half. Then, all the stuff I’ve been writing about lately meant that I had one and a half.

I ended up talking to the friend that I was having issues with and without ever talking to me or hearing my side of the story, the half friend sided with my friend. “She was really good at being mad at you when I was.”

Before I move on, I want to clarify: I say she was a half friend not to be mean. She moved a little over a year ago and I’m really bad at long distance relationships. We’ve talked on the phone a few times, Skyped a few times, texted a bit. But it’s mainly my fault and both of our busy lives that is to blame. I suck at life.

So that half was gone… which meant I had one.

ONE.

At a time that I’m about to go through one of the biggest life changes and events that a woman’s body can go through, having just one female friend is just not cutting it.

Now, more than ever before, I am yearning for female friendship. Girls to band together to support each other through whatever is going on in their lives. To hold each other up and encourage each other and understand all the things that only girls understand.

I’ve never been one to reach out, because I am extremely fearful of rejection. It’s one of the precious gifts I got from being an alcoholic's daughter. I was scared to reach out and be met with crickets.

I did it anyways.

I set my fear aside and so far have contacted two girls that are moms. One of them well, we didn't even get along in high school and the other reads this blog (HIII!!!) who I enjoyed immensely in high school but never got close too and BOTH of them have welcomed me with open arms and made themselves available to me in whatever way they can help. They both had different experiences with the delivery process so I am getting lots of great feedback – with a whole lot of honestly.

It truly is refreshing. My heart is so incredibly thankful right now.

Us women truly need to stick together, and when we do, it’s a beautiful thing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)