Monday, June 13, 2011

An Easy Project: Custom Buttons

Getting married and purchasing a home within the first year was overwhelming. Buying a fixer-upper foreclosure made it worse. I have never been into home renovation before I actually started looking for a home to purchase. Now that I have a home, I don't know where to start.


I mentioned a while ago that the best way to get started was to do something. That's what I have been doing! Small things to invoke some passion to get started. It's working! This week and next, I'm going to show you some things that I've been working on... and the projects just get bigger and bigger! YAY for progress. 

Let's refresh. In this post, I listed some projects I have been working on. Too lazy to click over? I don't blame you. I'll do the work so you don't have to...Wasn't that a slogan for a car or something? Hmmm... Must. Not. Get. Distracted.

Here is the list:

-bulletin board makeover
-custom buttons
-hat rack
-home organization
-Renovating a kitchen nook
-building a custom office desk
-DIY art

Let's jump right on in! 

A few weeks ago I decided it was high time to give my bulletin board a face lift. I started to really think about how I wanted to renovate it and what accents I would use. I decided that I wanted to make my own custom buttons. Now, before anyone thinks that I am clever enough to actually make my own buttons from scratch, lets get real. I went to Hobby Lobby and Joann's Fabrics in Visalia and I purchased a kit. 

Because that is what novices do. :)

I gathered my supplies; Some cute, small patterned fabric, the button cover kit (it was about three dollars) some craft scissors.



I decided not to do a step by step because honestly, its on the back of the package. One thing I did do was grab pliers so that I could take off the back part of the button, since I would not be using it to sew onto a garment. I later discovered that Joann's has a kit that includes flatbacks. Doh!

Sidenote: The kit from Joann's contained 10 buttons. 10 round parts, 10 button backs with the hook for sewing, and 10 flatbacks. What the heck? Why couldn't they add 10 more round parts so that I could use EVERYTHING that came in the kit? Freaking lame.

Anyways, this is what I ended up with:

That's right! I ended up with a blurry button. Oh, wait no. That's just my fantastic camera-phone skills. Way to have the ottoman fabric in focus and not the button. I rock. 

Tomorrow, I'll have (better quality?) pictures of the bulletin board, and what I did to the back of these buttons. What an intense cliff hanger. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting at Embrace the Crazy!

We love making new friends and we love comments.

However, this is a drama-free zone. As much as we love crazy, we don't love THAT kind of crazy.

We reserve the right to zap any mean, hurtful, or snarky comments right off the internet never to be seen again! (Bwa-ha-ha.) But, we sure do love constructive criticism and some helpful ideas and opinions! Can't wait to hear yours! :)